What You Don't Know Could Hurt Your Wallet

Kelly Grover

As you fall toward the ice, you know it will hurt. You hit hard and when you try to get up, something is not right. Now what? Hockey injuries happen and fortunately you are a properly registered player with USA Hockey, participating in a sanctioned event and covered by USA Hockey’s insurance. So just how does USA Hockey’s Participant Accident (Excess) Coverage work?

As the name indicates, this insurance acts as secondary coverage to your primary insurance. Claims should be reported to your primary insurance carrier first. If you have primary insurance coverage, USA Hockey’s insurance will begin coverage after you have incurred $1,000 in out-of-pocket expenses and will cover eligible amounts in excess of your primary coverage. If you have no primary insurance coverage, USA Hockey’s coverage will act as primary with a $3,500 deductible. There are certain limitations and exclusions within this policy. Every player that registers with USA Hockey receives a brochure that describes the policy’s coverage and limits of the insurances provided under USA Hockey.

You can also download the “Summary of Insurance Coverage Handbook” from USA Hockey’s website. This handbook contains information on all USA Hockey insurance programs and information regarding ice contracts, definitions of terms and listings for District Registrars and District Risk Managers. The handbook also provides detailed information and guidance should you ever need to file a claim. Every team manager and coach is encouraged to download this handbook and be familiar with its content. It is also a great resource for players and their families.

Participant Accident Coverage is just one of the many benefits provided to all members of USA Hockey.

Wait, we left you lying on the ice. Back to your injury. After you have reported your injury to your primary insurance company, you will need to get a USA Hockey claim form from your local program registrar. They have the claim forms as part of their registration software. If you are not sure who your local registrar is, you can call USA Hockey at (800) 566-3288 ext 123 and get that information. Submit your completed USA Hockey claim form as soon as possible as per the provided instructions. You do not need to wait for your primary insurance to be complete before filing a claim; it is better to get the claim established as early as possible to avoid complications and delays.

After you have submitted your completed claim form, K and K Insurance will contact you. K and K Insurance handles all claims for USA Hockey and they are familiar with the coverage provided. They will help you through the process.

Be aware, there are limits to USA Hockey’s insurance. One such limit being that a doctor must see you within 30 days of the date of the injury. Also, only expenses that are incurred within two years of the date of the injury will be covered and you must submit claims within 15 months of the date the expense was incurred. Further, USA Hockey’s insurance covers only bodily injury that is (1) accidental, (2) incurred during a covered activity, (3) the direct source of the loss, and (4) independent of any disease, bodily infirmity or other cause. More information regarding the limitations of USA Hockey’s Participant Accident (Excess) Coverage can 
be found in the Handbook.

Participant Accident Coverage is just one of the many benefits provided to all members of USA Hockey. It may not soften the blow when you hit the ice, but it could help cushion your wallet.

Kelly Grover is the Rocky Mountain District Risk Manager.
Photos from USA Hockey Magazine Archives




Who is your favorite American player?
Auston Matthews
Jason Robertson
Tage Thompson
Matthew Tkachuk
Patrick Kane
Total votes: 395